Here’s the short version of a new web site; the other pages in this section spell out the details.
Domain name, hosting
Each web site need a
- domain name (mysite.com, mysite.net, mysite.biz, whatever is available and fits). A domain name registry company handles this.
- a computer to hold it. This is a web hosting company
Many web hosting companies also can register your domain name. ALWAYS use separate companies to register your domain name and host your site!!! ALWAYS. Why? You have to pay a company for both services. If you use the same company for both and later decide to move your hosting business to to another company, you may find it hard to do – your soon to be former hosting company will lose that continuing income, and no business likes losing customers. Whatever company holds your domain name is holding the “keys to your kingdom” (web site), so it much safer to keep those separate.
You’re the boss with administrator access
If you hire someone to build your site, be sure you have full access to everything in case you and your designer part ways.
Site design, content and more
You’ve chosen and registered a domain name and have a hosting company in mind. What’s next? What type of site do you want? What is its purpose (besides to help advertise your business)? A few questions to consider:
- What re your products or services?
- What do you want to tell your current and potential customers about your products or services?
- What questions do your current and potential customers want answered on your site?
- What is the best way to share that information? Words? Pictures? Video? a mix?
These are some of the questions we will ask – you know what is best suited to your business. Look at competitors’ sites for ideas, and take it from there.